domingo, dezembro 25, 2005

Das sínteses originais (2): estigma

"Dear Miss Lonelyhearts,

I am sixteen years old now and I dont know what to do and would appreciate it if you could tell me what to do. When I was a little girl it was not so bad because I got used to the kids on the block makeing fun of me, but now I would like to have boy friends like the other girls and go out on Saturday nites, but no boy will take me because I was born without a nose - although I am a good dancer and have a nice shape and my father buys me pretty clothes.
I sit and look at myself all day and cry. I have a big hole in the middle of my face that scares people even myself so I cant blame the boys for not wanting to take me out. My mother loves me, but she crys terrible when she looks at me.
What did I do to deserve such a terrible bad fate? Even if I did some bad things I didn't do any before I was a year old and I was born this way. I asked Papa and he says he doesn't know, but that maybe I did something in the other world before I was born or that maybe I was being punished for his sins. I dont believe that because he is a very nice man. Ought I commit suicide?

Sincerely yours,

Desperate"


Miss Lonelyhearts
(1962) de Nathanael West

citação encontrada em Stigma: Notes on the Management of Spoiled Identity de Erving Goffman

1 comentário:

Ikkuna disse...

Gosh, i'm brokenhearted. It's impressive how appearence can be... almost anything. By Goffman's line of thought, of course, this is the stigma made by the judgment of your exterior signs... Terrible fate of the human being, not just her's, i'm affraid...

:'(